INSTITUTE OF GENETIC ENGINEERING (I.G.E.) established in 2003, to ensure quality teaching and research in Genetics and Biotechnology. Set up by BIOTECH FOUNDATION, a trust for promoting Education, Training and Research in Genetic and Biotechnology.
(India's Top University in the field of Biotechnology, Genetics, Microbiology with world class laboratory)
About Institute of Genetic Engineering (IGE)
The department of Genetics, Microbiology and Biotechnology was established in 2003 with a view to develop a Centre of Excellence in Education and Research in Genetics and Biotechnology in West Bengal. Initially, it was started with UG courses (B. Sc. Hons) in Biotechnology and Microbiology was affiliated with University of Kalyani in 2003 and then Genetics and Molecular Biology was added under the same University in the year, 2004.
In the year 2006 this Institute joined Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, West Bengal formerly known as WBUT and added PG course in Genetic Engineering along with above UG courses.
Ten batches have passed out with excellent grades and joined / placed in PG courses in various Universities in India and Abroad (see www.ige-india.com) Some of our students has ranked in local Universities like WBUT, University of Kalyani and Pune University.
Vision and Mission of College
- To make the college a centre of excellence in Genomic Science and an institution of national acclaim.
- To ensure and sustain quality in education.
- To provide value based and value added education with a view to instilling self confidence among the students.
- To inject energy and vigour among our youth and help them to learn, grow and evolve so that their dreams come true.
- To make our students socially committed and adaptable to global changes.
- To prepare caring citizens to meet the challenges of global society while retaining their traditional values
- To prepare students with strong foundation in their disciplines and other areas of learning
- To provide an environment for critical and innovative thinking and to encourage life-long learning
- To develop entrepreneurial and professional skills
- To promote research and developmental activities
- To inculcate leadership qualities for serving the society
Future plan of Academic Development of IGE
Institute of Genetic Engineering
- To open Bengali,English, History, Political Science at UG level under NSOU at Birnagar campus
- To open PG courses in Zoology, Botany, Physics, Chemistry and Environment Science under DDE,VU
- To open foreign language training courses and spoken english course for past and present students
Teaching Learning Evaluation
- Activation and evaluation of teaching and learning through Tutor-Ward System.
- Remedial programme for students .
- Evaluation on teaching and learning with the assistance of students' Feed back
- Evaluation and reformation of Examination system (for Internal Assessment).
- Medium of instruction should be in English at least in Honours level (excluding language subjects).
Research and Extension
Promotion of research culture among faculty and student.
- Publication of Research Journal /News letter of the college.
- Initiative for national and international linkage.
- Organizing the National and International Seminar/ Conference/Work Shop
- Publication of research paper through college website
- To open SSDIS Scheme (Vocational Training Centre) Under Ministry of Technical Education Govt. of West Bengal.